Sunday, July 26, 2009

Dear Friends!


Left: Myself and Jennifer Headlee Meyer.Right: The Biegler and Meyer kids.

Friday afternoon I got a surprising phone call from my dear friend, Jennifer. She was driving across country from Utah to Michigan and decided to stop to visit us. I was thrilled! Jennifer arrived with her husband, Max, and their 6 kids: Jacob (16), Megan (14), Zachary (10), Lindsay (7), Melissa (5), and Josh (3). The stayed overnight and visited for a while Saturday before getting back on the road.

Jennifer and I have been friends for 31 years! When we met her aunt and uncle lived next door to us. I was 5 and swinging on the neighbor's swing set when Jennifer came out (she was 7). She said, "get off my swing". I explained that it was Mikey's and Emily's swing and they let me be on there. She said, "it's my swing now, get off". Jennifer's family had bought the house from her aunt and uncle and were preparing to move in. I got off the swing and went back to my deck where I played "Barbies" alone. Jennifer looked over and said, "are you playing Barbies?". I said yes and invited her to play. She did, and we've been friends ever since!

Despite that first unpleasant impression of Jennifer she is one of the sweetest, most loving girls I've ever known. We spent many an hour playing House and Barbies together. When we weren't doing that we were running around outside trying to escape from my brothers. Over the years we've both moved in opposite directions, gotten married, and had kids (10 between us)! Despite the miles apart we are still dear friends. Calling her is like no time has past and no miles between us. She's someone I look to for support and advice. She's one of the best Mommies I know. Her kids are wonderful! We really loved being able to see them.

No comments: