Monday, October 4, 2010

Back to School!

The summer went so fast and on August 19 we found ourselves starting another school year. I'm never excited about the start of school. I love summers with my kids home, all the carefree days, and fun outings. But, I had to keep a stiff upper lip and send them off.

Isabelle started 5th grade! I'm still not used to saying that and it sounds strange in my ears. How is it that she has become such big kid? She was excited, which made saying goodbye a little easier. She was happy that her close friends Makyla, Kiri, and Hannah are all in her class, but Jaci is in the other 5th grade, which is a big bummer! At least they are together for the 2nd half of the day when they go to gifted.

Jack started 3rd grade and has also begun the gifted program. We are so proud of him! He loves school and does very well. We were excited to have another 2 years with Ms. Newman, the 3rd and 4th grade gifted teacher; she is an amazing, energetic, fun, creative teacher. Jack also has Mrs. Jennings, who is the same teacher Isabelle had for 3rd grade. He loves her class; she too, is one of our favorites at the school! It's going to be a great year for Jack!


Patrick and his BFF, Maddy, started kindergarten! I can't believe we're here! Patrick has come such a long way. I had no idea what to expect with him and kindergarten. I was nervous and very sad. I was very emotional the whole week (the whole summer, actually) before school started. Unfortunately, I started that day not feeling well. I had been battling a 4 day long migraine, a trip to the ER, and being overly-tired. So, when we got to school (Kevin and I drove him the first day) I burst into tears! It didn't help that my friend, Laura, works at the school. As soon as she saw me and said, "how are you?" I couldn't keep myself together. To make it worse, the more I tried not to cry, the more I did the ugly cry. But, Patrick was just so happy. Ms. Lawrence had him lead the class down the hall. He held a big sign that read, "Ms. Lawrence's Kindergarten". He was so proud to be line leader! Oh and despite being the very youngest in the class... he is the tallest!

Unfortunately, Maddy and Patrick are not in the same class. They both were sad, but quickly found new friends and realized they still had bus rides, lunch, recess, and other activities to be together. It wasn't so bad being one room away from each other. Patrick was thrilled to get to his seat and find his very own name right there waiting for him. It was nice for us to have Ms. Lawrence for the 3rd time. She knows our family and welcomed Patrick with open arms. He was a newborn when Isabelle started kindergarten and Ms. Lawrence said then, "he will be my student in a few years". At the time that seemed so far off. Yet, here we are! I had talked to her on many occasions before school started. She was completely aware of Patrick's needs and delays. She's done great with him! Within the first week I saw a huge change in how he was writing his letters and numbers. Then within the first month of school Patrick was reading! Amazing! He still has occupational, speech, and physical therapies. He also has a one-on-one aide for one hour each day to help him with handwriting and fine motor.

On their second day of school Patrick and Maddy got on the bus. Of course they sat together!

Maddy gets off the bus with my kids each day and stays here for about an hour until her mom gets home from work. The very first week the kids got homework packets and sat down to work on it together. They were very serious about it!

Kindergarten can take a lot out of a kid. Patrick went into his room and fell asleep many afternoons those first couple weeks of school. He's adjusting and doing much better, but needs that 7:00 p.m. bedtime. He's not always easy to get moving in the morning, even after nearly 12 hours of sleep!

No comments: